Hambly Screen Prints may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Polyester is one of the most durable (durable than wool and cotton) fabrics used for making clothes.
The resilient synthetic fiber doesn’t easily shrink…and when it does, it must be in extremely high heat conditions of up to 155 - 178°F (68 - 81°C).
If you recently bought a garment or wish to reuse a not-so-used cloth and it doesn’t fit you well, you can try shrinking it resize it and make it fit you well.
How you do that?
Well, in the post below, we’ll share with you the two most effective methods for shrinking polyester—the wash and dryer and electronic iron methods.
Let’s get into more details…
Method 1: Wash and Dryer Method
NOTE: this method involves high heat, so we advise you to first turn your cloth inside out before placing it in the machine to prevent the colors from feeding. However, avoid placing multiple clothes together to prevent the color bleeding effects which are likely to occur at high temperatures.
Follow these directions to shrink your polyester cloth:
1. Put the garment to be shrunk in your machine and set it to the hottest water setting plus the longest wash cycle. You don’t have to use it any detergent in the shrinking process, unless you want to wash your cloth as well.
If you’ll need to rinse the cloth afterward, use hot rinse as it contributes to the shrinking process.
2. immediately after the washing is complete, transfer your garment to the dryer and set it to the hottest and longest heating and drying cycles respectively. The extreme heat in your dryer will do most of the shrinking.
3. when done drying, pull the garment out of the dryer and give it time to cool to room temperatures. You can then try it out to see if the shrinking is perfect. In case it didn’t shrinking to your satisfaction, you can repeat the whole process again as outlined above.
However, DON’T attempt this process on your cloth too many times; doing this will make the garment loose its color (fade), newness, and overall durability.
Method 2: Electronic Iron For Shrinking Polyester
Like the wash and dryer method, the iron method also involves use of high heat to shrink your polyester cloth. However, the amount of heat used here isn’t as high as in the previous method.
Here’s how to shrink a polyester garment using iron:
1. Start by washing your garment in hot water—set your machine to the hottest water cycle as well as the longest wash cycle. Be sure to use hot rinse as well. Remember to put your cloth in inside out manner to prevent fading.
2. After you’re done cleaning the garment, pull it out of the machine immediately and transfer it to the ironing board while still in the inside out form.
3. Cover your cloth completely with a pressing cloth before ironing it to help prevent the ion from damaging it.
4. Now grab your iron and set it to low or medium heat. This is the ideal heat setting to prevent your polyester fabric from getting too stiff. Pass the iron over your clothing and continue ironing until your garment becomes completely dry.
There’s no need to use the steam setting since you only require a dry iron to dry ion to dry out your fabric.
5. finally, examine your clothing to see if you’ve successfully shrunk it. If you followed the above steps carefully, you should end up with a smaller fabric that will fit you better than before. You can also fit the garment to ensure it fits you well; if you’re not satisfied with the process, feel free to repeat the process.
Just like the previous method, avoid taking your polyester cloth through the iron shrinking methods more often to avoid ruining its appearance and durability.
Shrinking polyester clothes might seem impossible due to the incredible durability associated with this material. However, you can get around it by exposing the fabric to extremely high temperatures of around 155 - 178°F (68 - 81°C).
The two methods we’ve just outlined for you above involves using high heat to shrink polyester garments and make them fit you well. If you follow them as explained, we guarantee you of great results.